Adsense

Hungry Ghosts Festival Maret 2014

Advertisement
advertisement
Alamak! Time Flies! I have totally forgotten about the Hungry Ghosts Festival - Today is the first day of the seven lunar month which is the feast of the hungry ghosts.....yep, no kidding, right here for the Chinese.

The Chinese believe that once a year, the 'hell gate' will 'open' and all the souls are let loose to wander among the living. So traditionally, most Chinese will burn joss, hell money and offerings for these 'hungry ghosts' so that they will not sort of 'disturb' us.

Most places will have Chinese operas or concert to 'entertain' the spirit so during this period, it can get crowded in most places as dinners will be held in the open space too.

I remembered when I was little, I was told not to go out at night on the eve of the festival as then the wondering spirit will follow you or even to the extend of not allow to go swimming too....oh those were the days. Some do follow the basic traditional rules but as the society gets more affluent in addition with competing with the Jones, some are no longer so superstitious.

As for me, I do respect the tradition regardless of which ethnic group and found them intriguing which arouses my curiosity all the time.

Oh...having said that, I have to go now and pay respect to the hungry ghosts.....CIAO!
Hungry Ghosts Festival Maret 2014 | Rizal | 5